Tuesday 17 September 2013

A Game of Life

Chutes and Ladders (or as we use to call it when I was young, Snakes & Ladders) has always been just a game for me, until I became a parent. This is more than just a game if you really think about it...it's exactly how life is, with all it's ups and downs. When you spin the wheel (or roll the dice, depending on which version you have), you don't know where you will land. And when you land on a number, you might stay there, climb up a ladder 5-10 or so squares further or you might slide down a chute and end up where you started. You might be on a roll and be winning, but an unlucky spin of the wheel could land you way behind your opponent one minute and then way ahead the next and in the winner's seat. You just never know how the game will end.


Playing this game with my son the first many times, I observed his reactions - super happy when he climbed a ladder and terribly upset when he fell down a chute - sometimes we had to stop the game because he was so upset and I couldn't get him to understand that it's just a game and it's no big deal. As I watched him during this time, I reflected on my own life - the ups and downs, the comparisons I make with others, the self-criticism and most importantly, how I react to the challenges that I am faced with (but now I re-frame it to "the challenges I've been given"). I've seen people get ahead only to find them not happy in the end. I've seen others struggle, savor the challenges, rise to the occasion and pursue their passions. I strive to be in the latter group.

Last night, K and I played the game in bed before having a bath. It was the first time I din't see him get upset when I was climbing up the ladders and way ahead of him and the first time he didn't cheat. I want to think that all my talking about how "life is like this and that sometimes we win and sometimes we lose (and learn from our mistakes and do better next time)"...and that this is just a game has sunk in with him. I had a huge smile on my face when he won and instead of doing the happy dance (which is more like "ha, ha - I won and you didn't" dance), K said "now let me help you win, mommy."





No comments:

Post a Comment